Monday, June 13, 2016

This Is Hard...

I mainly use social media as an outlet for my sense-of-humor.  Unlike most, I do want to see pictures of your children and spectacular vacations.  I do not want to see that you are a bigot.  Controversy, and the very thought of being attacked for my point-of-view, terrifies me.  I do not want to offend anyone regardless of the fact many offend me (and poor Marcus gets to hear all about it when he comes home).  For me, social media is not the time or place for arguments and such anonymous, typed-out, meme-producing vitriol takes away from the oftentimes very serious subject matter.  Sadly, that subject matter is even more oftentimes about the senseless loss of life.

I cannot explain why the 49 people who lost their lives at a nightclub in Orlando has affected me so deeply, especially given the number of daily terrorist attacks worldwide.  When the Paris attacks happened I was saddened and wanted to write but didn't.  When the San Bernardino shootings occurred I wanted to speak-out but didn't.  I remember watching social media and was astounded at the divisiveness events such as those created.  I wanted it to be known that I am a womanliberal, gun-owning, tax-paying, college educatedmother, anti-feminist, hard-workingbra-burningwelfare/social services proponent, breast feeding advocateChristian, believer of Evolution Theory, I-don't-care-who-uses-the-restroom-stall-next-to-me, Climate Change activist, and lover of ALL peoples (despite differences) but I was too scared to say it.

I have quite a few family and friends who are part of the LGBQT community and maybe that is why the Orlando shootings have hurt so deeply.  No matter your sexuality, the weekend is a time for rest and relaxation.  At one point for me, that meant bars and nightclubs.  Personally, I enjoyed the gay bars the most because that was where I could go and dance and not be harassed.  I also secretly relished the glowing admiration of my shoes or nails by the regular patrons.  It was also a sign of a potential significant other's character if he could go to a gay bar and not feel uncomfortable.

I've been reading some of the thoughts my more tolerant social media friends have had to say on the subject of the Orlando murders and one thing has occurred to me:  To not voice an opinion is to validate the hatred.  To not voice an opinion is to sit back and indirectly teach my children that hatred is tolerable.  I cannot stand for it any longer.

So, here is where I do stand, and here is where you can take issue:  I do not care if you are a law-abiding gun-owner because I am one as well (and a liberal to boot, imagine that?!).  I do not care if you are afraid of your right to the Second Amendment being taken away because it never will be.  I do not care if you find homosexuality to be a sin because "...love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love..." (Lin-Manuel Miranda, 2016).  I do not care if you believe all Muslims are evil because they are not.

I do care about stopping these atrocities and getting guns out of the hands of those who want to kill me or anyone I love.  I do care that with inactivity this will directly affect me one day and I will lose a loved one.  I do care that my FUCKING (sorry, mamma bear coming out) FOUR YEAR OLD participates in ACTIVE SHOOTER drills at her school.  I do care that your supposed Christian beliefs hold you to certain truths but not to all.  Finally, I do care that I am raising children who may one day be the difference.  I pray that they find their passion and become genuine, kind, and compassionate unlike so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment